Has the COVID-19 pandemic cut you off from physiotherapy, occupational therapy (OT) or your regular exercise for rehabilitation? Spinal cord injury OT, PT and exercise specialists joined SCI BC’s Teri Thorson for our most recent Ask an Expert session on how to get your rehab and exercise on during self-isolation!
Watch the full Ask an Expert session video below:
This Ask an Expert session was created by Dr. Andrei Krassioukov and Spinal Cord Injury BC, with support by a grant from the Craig H. Neilsen Foundation.
Do you need PPE for caregivers, or cleaning services to protect yourself from COVID19? Email Jocelyn at email@example.com, we can help!
Panellists featured in this Ask an Expert session:
Shannon Sproule, PT & Cynthia Morin, OT, Cynthia.firstname.lastname@example.org, GF Strong Rehabilitation Centre Outpatient Spinal Cord program and SCI Wound program, Vancouver Coastal Health.
Kathleen Martin Ginis PhD, Professor, Centre for Chronic Disease Prevention and Management, University of British Columbia Okanagan (UBC-O)
Jasmin Ma, PhD, Post-doctoral Fellow, Health and Exercise Sciences, University of British Columbia (UBC)
Resources featured in this Ask an Expert Session:
- GF Strong Outpatient Spinal Cord Program referral form. (Usually, a physician referral is required, but if you are unable to see a physician for referral due to COVID-19, submit your application anyway and staff will work with you to get a physician referral.) Download the referral form here.
- Check out the SCI exercise guidelines
- Current information on GF Strong Rehab Centre status and precautions
- Active Homes: Home strength training guides for people with paraplegia and tetraplegia
- US National Centre for health and physical activity and disability (NCHPAD): Videos, Daily Workouts, etc. See below for videos.
General Aerobics, Dance and Strength & Cardio:
More resources featured in this Ask an Expert session:
- Get In Motion: project website or contact the project by email:
- Pain and Mindfulness tools:
- PPE for caregivers or cleaning for COVID prevention: Contact Jocelyn by email: email@example.com if you want to sign up for PPE and cleaning services being coordinated by SCI BC for people in need who don’t have access to them. (Funded by Craig H. Neilsen foundation)
- Find a physiotherapist online: www.bcphysio.org/find-a-physio
Q&A from this Ask an Expert video: (click the timecode to be linked to the point in the video)
- What can I do to build or develop my lung function? 23:35
- What is the current outpatient SCI rehab program? Can I visit GF Strong? 29:30
- What can I do to better manage my pain from home? 34:20
- How can I be more independent at home with my ADLs? 39:00
- Is the Physical Activity Research Centre (PARC) gym open? What are my alternatives? 47:00
- How can I find PPE to protect me with caregivers? 48:00
- How much exercise is too much? What concerns should I keep in mind when exercising at home? 48:58
- How can I find a physiotherapist who will do video consultations? 51:00
- Call toll-free at 1.800.689.2477
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org