Get Your Cozy On
This creamy soup is perfect for the cold winter months. Not only does it taste amazing, but it is easy to digest, is anti-inflammatory, uses seasonal produce and is full of healthy fats and complex carbohydrates. Another bonus of this soup is it makes about 6-8 servings so you’ll have lunch for the week! Feel free to adjust the ingredients to your liking. Enjoy!
• 1 large butternut squash
• 1 large onion
• 6-8 carrots
• 2 medium size yams
• 1 can of coconut milk
• 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
• 2 cups of broth (chicken or vegetable)
• 3 cloves of garlic
• 1 cube of ginger (to taste)
• 1-2 teaspoons of turmeric
• 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
• Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut butternut squash in half, lay face up on a roasting pan (put tin foil on the pan for less of a mess), drizzle with oil and roast at 375˚ for about 45 minutes (or until soft).
- Once you have the squash in the oven, sauté onions in coconut oil in a large soup pot. Mince garlic and add.
- Peel yams and cut into small cubes. Add to soup pot.
- Chop carrots and add to soup pot.
- Add broth. Bring to boil and let simmer.
- Add coconut milk.
- Add minced ginger, turmeric and cinnamon.
- Once squash is done, peel it, chop into cubes and add to soup pot.
- Let everything simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Use a hand blender to purée everything.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- After the soup is puréed, we then add soup into the Vitamix (usually in about 3 batches) to blend further because it turns to the soup so velvety smoot
Recipe courtesy of Kari McDougall