A quick, healthy meal to fill your belly now or down the road!
These burritos are filling, rich in protein and best of all, delicious. And, to make a good thing even better – they are easy to made ahead of time and pop in the freezer for a quick and easy meal down the road. Serves 6 (or serves one for 6 meals!).
- 6 wholemeal flour tortilla wraps
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet white onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 x 400g tins black beans drained and rinsed (can substitute refried black or pinto beans)
- A few lettuce leaves
- 1 large tomato diced
- 2 spring onion, chopped
- Optional: Monterey Jack cheese, vegan cheese, sour cream or yogurt, salsa, hot sauce
1. If serving immediately, preheat the oven to 200C. Wrap the tortillas in some tinfoil and let them heat up for about 15 minutes.
2. In a frying pan, add the garlic, peppers, onions and the oil. Cook on a medium heat for a minute, then add the chili powder, cumin and beans. Add some water (about 60ml / 1/4 cup) and cook for a few minutes, until the beans are softened and moist. Partially mash them with a fork or masher so you have a chunky bean paste.
3. Remove the tortillas from the oven and place one on a plate. Spread about 3 tablespoons of the beans/vegetables mixture down the middle and 2 teaspoons grated cheese (if using).
4. If you are freezing your burritos, wrap the tortillas and then wrap them tightly in aluminum foil. Put them directly into the freezer so that they cool ASAP.
5. If you are eating your delicious burrito immediately, top them with some lettuce, spring onions, tomatoes, salsa, and your sour cream (if using) and wrap.
6. Serve right away!
** To reheat frozen burritos, simply heat the oven to 350F, and pop the burrito in the oven, in the same aluminum foil that you froze them in!