Great in the summer
- 1 slice country-style bread, about 1″ thick, crusts removed
- 2 small cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 lb. very ripe tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 green pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1⁄2 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely diced
- 1 cup (1⁄2“) croutons
- 1⁄2 small white onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 small tomato, seeded and finely diced
- Soak bread for 1⁄2 hour in a small bowl in water to cover. Squeeze out moisture with your hands.
- Purée bread, cucumbers, tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, and 1 cup water in a food processor until very smooth.
- Push purée through a coarse sieve with the back of a wooden spoon. Gazpacho should be fairly thin. Season to taste with salt.
- Chill gazpacho in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Adjust seasoning. Serve in individual glasses, or in soup bowls with garnishes on the side.
Adapted from: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Gazpacho-Andaluz