What makes this a great salad is the choice of greens, the flavors you match with the greens, and the dressing.
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 4 ounces dried Black Mission figs, thinly sliced (2/3 cup)
- 8 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons torn mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- goat cheese (optional)
- Make salad dressing: whisk together vinegar, Dijon mustard, and salt and pepper, to taste, then add oil in a slow stream, whisking until completely mixed. Stir in green onions and mustard seeds.
- Chop salad ingredients and add into a large bowl.
- Combine with dressing, as needed (you may have extra dressing left over) and enjoy! Optional to add goat cheese.