The epitome of comfort food all over India!
A one-pot dish made with lentils, rice and vegetables along with simple spices and ghee.
- 1/2 cup split green moong lentils, washed
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- cilantro to garnish
- 1 small potato, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup carrots, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
1. Start the instant pot on saute mode and heat ghee in it. Add cumin seeds and let them bubble for 30 seconds. Then add onions and ginger. Let them cook for a minute.
2. Add all the veggies and spices. Stir well.
3. Add the lentils, rice and water. Stir them well with the vegetables!
4. Close the instant pot lid and set the manual or pressure cook mode for 5 minutes at high pressure with vent in sealing position.
5. When the instant pot beeps, do a 10 minute NPR. This means release the pressure manually for 10 minutes after the instant pot beeps.
6. Garnish with cilantro. Serve hot with additional ghee to top it.