Families who partner with Habitat pay an affordable mortgage set at thirty percent of their
annual income. As Habitat homeowners pay off their mortgages, the funds are reinvested into a
revolving fund, which is then used to build more homes for more families in the community.
Habitat’s model of affordable homeownership bridges a gap for low-income working families by
providing them with the opportunity to purchase a home and build a better future for their family.
Be living in need (one or more must apply)
- The percentage of income you currently spend on housing is too high (over 30% of gross income.)
- Your family has medical disabilities and general health conditions that are made worse by current housing.
- Your house is overcrowded by the number of people living in the space.
- Your home requires major repairs.
- Your home and neighborhood isn’t safe.
Be able to pay a mortgage.
- Your net assets are less than $100,000.
- Your annual gross household income must fall within the income range of $55,000-$87,800.
- You must have a credit rating of 660+ and a balance between debt and income.
- You must be servicing any current debt.
- Any bankruptcy must be discharged for at least 2 years.
- You have a steady income that is enough to cover the cost of mortgage payments, taxes, utilities, insurance and maintenance expenses of the home.
- Be a willing partner.
- You must complete 500 volunteer hours within 2 years.
- You are willing to live in a community with families from a variety of ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds.
- You are either a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident and are currently living in the Comox Valley.
- You have primary care or permanent guardianship of a child.
Read our full list of qualifications and fill out the short eligibility questionnaire at habitatnorthisland.com/apply or contact Family Services at habitatnorthisland.com/apply.
1375 Piercy Avenue, Courtenay
12-unit affordable housing project
This project will consist of three four-unit townhomes,
providing safe and affordable homeownership for 12 local families.
It includes two barrier-free homes for families with
Learn more at www.habitatnorthisland.com
You can watch a tour of the unit here:(1405) Accessible Unit Homeownership Opportunity – YouTube