YVR is made up of a team of diverse people who are working collaboratively to Connect BC Proudly to the World. Safety is at the core of everything we do; we’re innovative, fun, and we invest in our people. We’re a BC Top Employer for 14 years standing, with high engagement scores, an abundance of learning and development opportunities, and a holistic approach to wellness. And we’re looking for someone to join our team.
As one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, Vancouver Airport Authority strives for a workplace that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. We support the Employment Equity Act and take measures to ensure fair employment practices and treatment of employees across our organization. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, including women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities. We encourage applicants to self-identify with a designated group(s) to support our team in filling gaps in areas where we can be more diverse. We are also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at YVR. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at 604-303-3152 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out the reasons that make us a Top Employer at: https://content.eluta.ca/top-employer-vancouver-airport.
We have a permanent, full-time opportunity for a Communications Specialist. Reporting to the Manager, Communications, the successful candidate will be a proven communications professional who can execute corporate communications programs and activities that support Vancouver Airport Authority’s business objectives and that target key external stakeholders.
Key responsibilities include:
- Promote, protect and enhance the reputation and YVR brand through support with media relations, issues management and public affairs activities
- Support proactive communications and relationships with key media; maximize opportunities with media and policy leaders in positioning key executives, programs and special projects
- Assist with issues management on behalf of the organization, identify, monitor and execute response strategies
- Handle media inquiries, provide key talking points and coach executives prior to media interviews
- Collaborate with departments and stakeholders to support the development of comprehensive communications plans
- Provide project management for key communications initiatives and programs
- Draft media materials including news releases, backgrounders, corporate positions on various matters, speeches
- Produce and disseminate written materials for internal and external publications and all online communications tools, including website, blog, social media and intranet
- Share responsibility of 24/7 media and social media coverage with key members of the team
- Lead and support event planning and execution for marketing communications initiatives
Key qualifications include:
- Completion of an undergraduate degree, or other post-secondary education, supplemented by four or more years’ experience in public relations or corporate communications; or an equivalent combination of education and experience; agency experience considered an asset
- Proven ability to build relationships with internal and external customers, business partners and the media
- Demonstrated media relations experience; articulate with the ability to understand and deal confidently with the media
- Understanding of effective communications methods, including the ability to develop communications plans and target communications to different audiences to fulfill specific purposes
- A strong understanding of how earned, owned, paid and social media can work independently and together to advance the organization’s goals
- Experience with speech writing and preparing presentations
- Solid project management, organizational, planning and logistical skills with the ability to meet tight deadlines in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of and experience managing social media and owned media channels, including web publishing
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good working knowledge of MS Office Suite
- Graphic design and video editing experience an asset
On occasion, you will be required to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings.
This position is open to both Vancouver Airport Authority employees and external candidates. Previous job performance will be taken into consideration for all internal candidates that apply for this position.
Apply online at https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/careers/current-opportunities