Since 1977, Disability Alliance BC (DABC) has been a provincial, cross-disability voice in British Columbia. We champion issues impacting the lives of people with disabilities through our direct services, community partnerships, advocacy, research and publications.
We work to support people with all disabilities to live with dignity, independence and as equal and full participants in the community.
DABC is seeking a Community Advocate to join our Advocacy Access Team. The Advocate will be responsible for individual and community advocacy relating to provincial disability benefits.
- Assist people with disabilities with applications and appeals relating to provincial disability (Persons with Disabilities and Persons with Persistent and Multiple Barriers)
- Conduct workshops/webinars about provincial disability benefits for community organizations, people with disabilities, healthcare professionals, and other interested individuals and groups
- Be a provincial resource for community advocates and individuals on policy and legislation governing PWD/PPMB
The position will be based out of DABC’s Vancouver office but may require occasional travel to other BC communities.
This position is for 4 days per week at 8 hours a day (including 1 hour as a paid lunch break).
The successful applicant must:
- Have a minimum 2 years combined post-secondary education and/or applicable work experience
- Have strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to communicate complex concepts in plain language
- Be able to work effectively with people with disabilities from a client-centered approach
- Be self-motivated, adaptable, and able to work effectively with a team
- Have strong analytical and research skills
- Have excellent organizational skills
- Be computer literate and proficient with word-processing software including the Microsoft Office Suite
- Maintain the integrity and confidentiality of sensitive client information
The following are strong assets for this position:
- Experience with provincial disability benefits (PWD/PPMB)
- Experience in the non-profit sector
- Background in law, social work, or a related field
- Experience with a disability and/or supporting people with disabilities
- Experience with legal research
- Understanding of anti-oppression principles
Salary: $34,400 annually for 4 days a week
DABC provides 3 weeks paid annual vacation, and 4 weeks paid vacation after 3 years; 15 paid sick days, and 100% of the cost of extended health care benefits after the 3-month probationary period.
DABC is an open and diverse organization that promotes inclusive hiring practices. We encourage applications from qualified applicants who identify as visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and of all sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Importantly, we are looking for people who want to make a long-term commitment to our organization and have a strong desire to assist people with disabilities.
100% of DABC’s staff and volunteers are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Many of the clients that DABC serves have medical conditions which make them vulnerable and more susceptible to severe symptoms of COVID-19, and so it is vital that DABC strives to protect our clients from risk of transmission. It is DABC’s policy to request that all new employees be fully vaccinated and therefore the successful applicant for this position will be asked for proof of vaccination upon hiring.
Please submit a resume and brief covering letter addressed to Sharareh Saremi, Program Manager of Advocacy Access at email@example.com. No phone calls or faxes please.
Applications are due no later than midnight on December 12, 2021. DABC welcomes all applications, however, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview. Interviews will be conducted in December and the position start date will be in early January 2022