YVR is made up of a team of diverse people who are working collaboratively to Connect BC proudly to the World. Safety is at the core of everything we do; we’re innovative, fun, and we invest in our people. We’re a BC Top Employer for 14 years standing, with high engagement scores, an abundance of learning and development opportunities, and a holistic approach to wellness! And we’re looking for someone to join our team. As one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, Vancouver Airport Authority strives for a workplace that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.
We support the Employment Equity Act and take measures to ensure fair employment practices and treatment of employees across our organization. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, including women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities. We encourage applicants to self-identify with a designated group(s) to support our team in filling gaps in areas where we can be more diverse. We are also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at YVR. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at 604-303-3152 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out the reasons that make us a Top Employer at: https://canadastop100.com/bc/.
We have a permanent, full-time opportunity for a Manager, Airside Operations Delivery. Reporting to the Director, Airside Operations, and the successful candidate is accountable to ensure our team and operation are ready to deliver the day. This includes ensuring we have done the right operational planning, contingency and resilience readiness and training, and ensuring safe and compliant conditions are always present in our airside environment.
We must strive to deliver a seamless end to end product from stand to runway and back through maximizing efficiency of our operation, as well as liaising with internal and external stakeholders and regulatory partners to react and respond to changing needs and conditions. This role demands a progressive, proven leader who demonstrates transparency, accountability and integrity. You must be a self-starter who can work flexibly in a complex, fast paced and changing environment.
Key responsibilities include:
- Leading a specialized team of Airside Safety Officers who are accountable for on-site operational delivery 24/7 through technical leadership, training and development, as well as coaching, mentoring and motivating
- Developing and maintaining customer relationships with airlines and ground handlers, as well as internal and external stakeholders to be able to anticipate, respond and react to changing needs and conditions, address concerns and apply solutions
- Continuously seeking ways to improve our airside operational delivery by understanding its role in the overall airport system, and identifying and initiating airside system and process improvement opportunities
- Leading development of operational plans based on seasonal flight schedules, changing conditions and constraints within the operation to ensure maximum planning and preparation across the airside department to support effective delivery of the operation; this includes developing and monitoring performance metrics and identifying program improvements needed to streamline the operation
- Supporting delivery of project and planned work through planning and management of upcoming impacts to the operation by ensuring advanced plans are in place to maintain safety, minimize impact and maximize efficiency during impacts
- Managing and maintaining resilient systems and airside tools which support operational delivery through contract management and liaising with internal stakeholders and vendors
- Responsible for planning and preparation for contingency operations, operational mitigations and ensuring airside programs, documentation and procedures are up to date and trained to
- Technical expertise in supporting delivery of airside operations to meet regulatory and safety requirements
Key qualifications include:
- At least 10 years’ experience working within an aviation or an operational environment with at least five years’ management-level experience
- Demonstrated experience leading diverse teams, supplemented by a bachelor’s degree in a field related to Aviation, Operations Management, Business or Engineering; or an equivalent combination of training and experience (preference will be given to candidates with ITIL, Lean, or Six Sigma designation)
- Strong business acumen and analytical skills with proven ability to manage, interpret and derive insight from data presented, then develop and implement operational plans and programs
- Demonstrated experience in business and operational planning cycles, setting requirements and constraints, and translating that to execution plans for operational delivery/implementation
- Proven high level of independent judgment and critical thinking skills
- Comfort multitasking and balancing competing needs and interests
- Ability to collaborate positively with peers, customers and service providers in high stress and challenging discussions enabling effective 24×7 service and remediation when required
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills to prioritize within a complex portfolio
- Experience within aviation and airports with an established understanding of the role of Nav Canada and Transport Canada within the airport context
- Ability to translate ambiguity into clarity for team and stakeholders
This position is open to Vancouver Airport Authority employees and external candidates. Previous job performance will be taken into consideration for all candidates that apply for this position. Candidates must be able to work irregular hours occasionally as the role or season dictates.
Applicants must hold a valid class 5 driver’s licence as ability to obtain a licence to drive airside (Airside Vehicle Operators Permit) is a requirement of this role. As part of our recruitment process, short-listed candidates may be required to take part in a management assessment process.
To Apply https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/careers/current-opportunities