DABC is seeking a permanent, part-time Receptionist to join our Advocacy Access Team. Our receptionists are often the first face or voice that a client interacts with when connecting with DABC. The successful candidate will exhibit an empathetic and professional attitude who will respond to inquiries about our services as well as offer referrals to other community-based resources. DABC provides a variety of services that assist clients with applying for provincial and federal disability benefits, registered disability savings plan, tax filings and tax credits, legal aid, and accessible housing. The successful candidate will be working with volunteer reception staff in-person at the front desk of DABC’s office in downtown Vancouver. All of our reception volunteers are people living with disabilities.
Under the supervision of the Advocacy Access and Access RDSP Program Managers, the Receptionist will carry out the following responsibilities and tasks:
• Respond to client inquiries over the phone, email and in-person
• Screen clients for eligibility of our services and conduct intake of client contact information for our waitlists
• Work in collaboration with program staff to maintain a regularly updated collection of community resources and contacts
• Keep detailed and accurate records of visitor requests and of calls/emails received• Assist the Advocacy Access team by communicating with clients on follow up questions and issues as they arise.
• Assist the Advocacy Access team by supporting program evaluation activities• Maintain an organized desk reception space and filing system
Working hours: This position is for 28 hours a week, with flexibility to spread these hours throughout the workweek. The office hours at DABC are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
The successful applicant must:
• Have a minimum 2 years applicable work experience
• Have strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate complex concepts in plain language
• Have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with clients and staff across many diverse backgrounds
• Be self-motivated, adaptable, and able to work effectively with a team as well as independently
• Maintain a professional, respectful and empathetic demeanor with clients and have the ability to manage client expectations as it relates to the capacity and scope of DABC’s services• Have excellent organizational skills
• Be computer literate and proficient with Microsoft Office software, specifically Excel, Word and Outlook.• Maintain the integrity and confidentiality of client information
• Be able to manage and sort through a significant volume of incoming communication.
The following are strong assets for this position:
• Lived experience with disability
• Lived experience with provincial disability benefits (PWD/PPMB)
• Experience in the non-profit sector
• Experience supporting people with disabilities
• Knowledge and understanding of community resources available to people with disabilities
Wage: $18.50 per hour
Please note that as this is a contracted position, the successful applicant would not be eligible for extended health benefits or paid time off.
100% of DABC’s staff and volunteers are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Many of the clients that DABC serves have medical conditions which make them vulnerable and more susceptible to severe symptoms of COVID-19, and so it is vital that DABC strives to protect our clients from risk of transmission. It is DABC’s policy to request that all new contractors and employees be fully vaccinated and therefore the successful applicant for this position will be asked for proof of vaccination upon hiring.
DABC is an open and diverse organization that promotes inclusive hiring practices. We encourage applications from qualified applicants who identify as visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and of all sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities. People with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
To Apply:Please submit a resume and brief covering letter addressed to Helaine Boyd, Executive Director: Programs and Policy at email@example.com No phone calls or faxes please. Applications are due no later than 4:30 p.m. on October 14, 2021. DABC welcomes all applications, however, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview. Interviews will be conducted in October and the position start date will be November 2021 or earlier.