Great as an appetizer or a light lunch
- 2 large eggplants
- 3 large tomatoes, remove the skin and chop into small pieces
- 7 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pierce the eggplants and bake for 40 minutes in the oven until soft in the inside and the skin is crispy on the outside. Or grill them on a barbecue grill until eggplants are well cooked. Set aside to cool.
- Remove the skin and mash the eggplant with a fork.
- In a skillet sauté chopped garlic in hot oil until light brown on medium heat. Add in the turmeric and stir.
- Add the mashed eggplant and cook for about 15-20 minutes, stirring thoroughly.
- Add chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper to the mix, stir well and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes over medium heat.
- Pour the beaten eggs over the eggplant mixture, stir until well blended. Cook for about 3-4 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
Serve on a platter with warm bread and fresh herbs.
Adapted from http://turmericsaffron.blogspot.ca/2009/02/mirza-ghasemi-northern-irans-eggplants.html