This delicious bread requires no kneading to rise to the occasion!
- 3 cups of flour
- ¼ tsp instant yeast
- 1 1-4 tsp salt
- 5 cups of water
- Cornmeal or wheat bran
- Combine yeast, flour, and salt.
- Add the water and stir until blended
- The dough will be shaggy and sticky
- Cover and let rise for 12-18 hours
- Turn out onto a floured board. Fold one to two times so that the bread resembles a square or circle.
- Sprinkle bran on a tea towel and gently transfer the bread to the tea towel so it’s covered.
- Let rise again or bake.
- Preheat oven to 500 (or more if your oven permits). Preheat the dutch oven inside. The hotter the better before the bread hits it.
- Sprinkle a bit of corn meal or bran on the bottom of the dutch oven. Gently place the bread into the dutch oven.
- Cover with the lid and bake for 30 mins. Take the lid off and bake for a further 15 mins.
You can add rosemary, olives, cheese or other things to the bread, but do it after the second rise. You can also add more salt if you find it’s needed.
This recipe was taken from http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread. Watch the video and make your own!