Perfect for parties and potlucks
- 3 tablespoons oats
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 pound ground beef (85% fat)
- 1 yellow potato peeled and finely grated
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp olive oil (or coconut oil)
- In small bowl, soak oatmeal with a cup of cold water.
- In a large bowl, add ground beef, grated potato, egg, garlic, Italian parsley, flour, salt, pepper and turmeric. Use your hands to mix thoroughly.
- Drain oatmeal. Transfer onion and oatmeal to meat mixture and continue to mix.
- Using your hands, form 8 patties, roughly ½ inch thick. Place patties on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In a large nonstick pan, drizzle olive oil (or coconut oil). Turn heat to medium high.
- Remove sheet from refrigerator. Once oil is hot, carefully add the patties – the oil may splatter. (You may need to split this into two batches of four patties each.)
- Cook for 5 minutes then use a spatula to gently flip the patty over. It should be dark golden brown. Continue cooking for an additional 3 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked patties to a paper towel lined plate. Serve hot or cold.