Enjoy this easy quinoa salad recipe as a light meal or a side dish.
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of quinoa (rinsed)
- 1 large or 2-3 small finely diced zucchini
- 1 finely diced red pepper
- 1 finely diced yellow pepper
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds (raw, unsalted)
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- Diced avocado
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1-2 lemons)
- ¼ olive oil
- 1 tsp minced fresh garlic
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, ground cumin and ground turmeric
- Cook quinoa: add 2 cups of water and 1 cup of quinoa is a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cover for 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
- Mix diced zucchini, peppers, cilantro, parsley, sunflower seeds and raisins in a large bowl. Add the cooked quinoa (once it has cooled).
- Whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, cayenne, cumin and turmeric in a small bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss until evenly distributed.
- Enjoy with diced avocado (about ¼ avocado with each serving)
Recipe adapted from: Green, P., Hemming, C. (2010). Quinoa 365: the everyday superfood. Whitecap books; British Columbia.