A healthy grain salad with lots of fresh flavor
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp finely minced jalapeno (optional)
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper (about 1 pepper)
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Bring the water and quinoa to a boil in medium saucepan. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave saucepan covered on the burner for another 4 minutes. Fluff with fork and allow quinoa to cool.
- Place quinoa in a large bowl. Whisk the oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, cumin and jalapeno (if using) in a small bowl. Stir the dressing into the quinoa. Toss with diced red pepper, onion, cilantro and salt.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days.*Makes about 6 servings Recipe adapted from: Green, P., Hemming, C. (2010). Quinoa 365: the everyday superfood. Whitecap books; British Columbia.