A hearty, nutrient-rich salad packed with delicious toppings!
This salad can serve as a quick and easy base for all your protein and mineral-rich toppings. The toppings listed below are a simple way to transform a plain bowl of greens into a delicious, nutrient-rich meal in minutes. Serves 2 people as a meal or 4-6 people as a side salad.
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Sesame Seeds
- Sunflower Seeds
- Flax Seeds
- Chia Seeds
- hemp seeds
- Feta Cheese
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- Black Beans
- 4 cups of greens: Spinach, kale or lettuce torn or cut into bite -sized pieces
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes, or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced into small pieces
There are many tasty ways to dress a salad and you can be as simple or as creative as you want. The classic ratio of oil to acid (vinegar or lemon juice) is 3 parts olive oil to 1 part vinegar. In other words, ¾ cup of olive oil + ¼ cup of vinegar will give you 1 cup of salad dressing.
Here are some options:
- Olive oil & red wine vinegar
- Olive oil & balsamic vinegar (add honey!)
- Olive oil, lemon juice and Parmesan cheese
- Yogurt, water (to thin the yogurt), mixed herbs
- Olive oil, Dijon mustard, honey, lemon juice or vinegar
1. Prepare the base ingredients and combine in a bowl.
2. Add your toppings of choice.
3. Drizzle on your favourite dressing, toss well and enjoy!